Environment & Climate Change
Within its’ mandate to promote socially and environmentally sustainable towns and cities, UN-Habitat has as strong focus in facilitating cities play a vital role in social and economic development by promoting better environmental policies and programmes, aimed at reducing pollution, addressing climate change and improving urban environmental management.
UN-Habitat’s rationale and specific responsibilities with regards to Climate Change are outlined in the 22nd governing council resolution “Cities and climate changeResolution 22/3” downloadable here.
In Sri Lanka UN-Habitat is facilitating policy support to the central government, whilst also working at city levels in direct assistance programmes.
- Regional workshop on Climate Change and Decentralization
- Climate Resilient Action Plans for Coastal Urban Areas
- Support to a National Climate Change Policy for Sri Lanka
- Rainwater Harvesting in a Water Scarce Small Village in Northern Sri Lanka
- Access to Basic Urban Services in Municipalities in Sri Lanka – Concluded Project
- The Sustainable Cities Programme (SCP) – Concluded Project